Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A milestone in PDX riding

I haven't gotten a flat in almost two weeks.

The last time I was in Eugene, I stopped by Paul's Bicycle Way of Life to see Matt and gripe about the excess of junk on big city roads, and turned me to some Bontrager Race All-Weather hardcase tires.

And... no flats since. This is a small miracle. For some reason I had seemed to pick up every staple, glass shard, and razor-sharp rock available and the recent rain hasn't helped much. Riding through Tigard, Beaverton, and this side of Portland has forced me onto heavier roads like Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy and Scholls Ferry, which inevitably have that triple-whammy, flat-inducing combination of "junk-pile" next to "wide-spacing-drain-cover-wheel-trap" with "soccer-mom-on-cell-phone-in-SUV-next-to-you". Multiple times per ride. So through the junk I go. Eventually it catches up to you.

It's almost enough to make me take up driving. Almost.

No comments: